Tuesday, October 11, 2016

The 1986 Computer Convention

The story is as true as I remember it.

I used to go to every computer convention I could find, back in the 20th century, in 1986.
At one of them, I was presenting a prototype of an acupuncture diagnosis and treatment system I had developed together with Dr. Bjørn Øverbye.
Suddenly, a robot starts chasing me, waving its arms and speaking in a foreign language. It's not Russian.
That's a relief, but wherever I go, the robot follows.
I try not to freak out. It's not easy, considering my age and the movies I've seen.
At least it's not armed.
But, what the hell does it want?
I stop.
The robot stops, waving its arms, speaking in what sounds like Italian.
I check its name 'Arngren Robotics', and look around the place for a match. Three stands down the isle, I see it.
Five people stand at a counter, laughing, grinning and pointing.
I walk toward them.
Psycho Robot follows.
"Don't be afraid," one calls out. "Listen to the words."
"It's Italian," I protest. Thank God someone knows how to shut it off.
"No, it's latin," the Dude Himself replies. I recognize Dr. Arngren's face from a very cool catalog of most excellent stuff.
"Listen," he says.
The robot waves its arms. "In Nomine patri, fili et spiritus sancti ... benedicti ... "
"It's the Pope," Dr. Arngren smiles. "He's blessing you. It's the least frightening program we could think of."


Oh, the convention was called "The Future of Medical Computing" or something like that.


No comments:

Post a Comment